I absolutely love mixed spice and think it is sad that it is usually only popular at Christmas. I use it whenever I can, for example a good spoonful gets added to my Carrot cake with Orange Frosting.
Last week I wanted a spicy but sweet cake and looked through my cupboards to see what I had in. This gorgeous creation was the result. The orange flavour really shines through.
I chose the rub in method because it is so simple to do and you don’t need any equipment except your fingers. I hope that if you think you can’t bake, you might just give this a go.
It keeps for a couple of days if stored in an airtight container. I was delighted with the outcome.
225g self raising flour
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon of mixed spice
Grated rind of 1 orange
2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed orange juice
1. Heat the oven to 180 degrees and line or grease an 18cm cake tin.
2. Mix flour, salt and mixed spice together, rub in butter until it resembles breadcrumbs.
3. Stir in the sugar, sultanas and grated orange rind.
4. Beat together eggs and orange juice then add to the other ingredients.
5. Beat together until soft.
6. Add to prepared tin and bake for about 50 minutes.