A very firm favourite cake in this house is Carrot Cake.
I never mind because I always kid myself into thinking that I am providing one of their five a day. Tentative?
Give this a go, I promise it is worth it!
225g self raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
150g soft dark brown sugar
150g peeled and grated carrots
150ml sunflower oil
2 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons orange juice
½ grated orange
225g icing sugar
1. Pre heat oven to 180ºC and line a square cake tin
2. Mix the flour, baking powder and mixed spice in a bowl
3. Stir carrots and sugar into the flour mix
4. Make a well in the centre of the mix and add eggs, oil and milk then mix well
5. Place mix into the tin and bake for approximately 30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Leave to cool on a wire rack
6. Place orange juice and rind in a pan with the butter and melt together
7. Remove from the heat and add icing sugar, beat until smooth
8. Spread topping across the top of the cake
9. Cut into 9 squares