We were the sixth family to move into The Glade. Most families that have moved in since have been welcomed with a Lemon Drizzle cake.
(If you are reading this and you have moved in and didn’t received a cake, let me know and I will hasten to rectify the situation ASAP).
People are often impressed with this particular cake, however in the spirit of sharing, I am about to take one for the team and, give the game away about how simple this cake really is.
This recipe is so old that I have had to convert it to metric.
170g self raising flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
2 large eggs
6 tablespoons of milk
Finely grated rind of a lemon or 2 drops of lemon extract
Juice of large lemon
1. Pre heat the oven to 160c
2. Add all the cake ingredients together in a bowl and mix, see photo below for proof
3. Pop the mix into a lined cake tin, I use a round one but this will fit into a 2lb loaf tin too
4. Bake for 35-40 minutes until a toothpick comes out of the centre clean
5. When the cake is in the oven make the drizzle by adding the freshly squeezed lemon juice to the sugar and mix
6. As soon as it is baked take a toothpick and make lots of holes in the top of the cake
7. Pour the drizzle mixture over the top
*Tip: Before squeezing lemons put them in the microwave for 30 seconds then you will get more juice!